Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Tampa Bay Lightning Nuts and Bolts

By Damian Cristodero, Times Staff Writer
Saturday, January 15, 2011

5 questions | W Ryan Malone

Have you ever worn a visor?

No, I don't like them. With the water, snow, you're sweating, you've got to clean it after every shift. It's more of a pain in the (behind).

Does it come up with your wife?

Sometimes, and with my mom maybe a little bit. That was probably early on in my career. They got the point I'm never going to do it.

You recently took a stick blade over your right eye. Did you consider it then?

No, serious injuries can happen. I just look at it as part of the sport.

Aren't you inviting injury?

I expect to, before my career is over, break a couple more noses and lose a couple more teeth.

And the scars?

You wear them with pride.

No age limit

One of the most talked about aspects of the Lightning's acquisition of G Dwayne Roloson is that, at 41 years, 3 months, he is the league's second-oldest player.

Roloson answered that with this anecdote:

"I remember when I was in high school, on Sunday mornings I always went and skated with my teachers. There was a gentleman who was a retired teacher, and he was skating at 90. He's playing defense and was one of the better defensemen out there. To him age was just a number. He was out there having fun, having a good time."

Tall in the saddle

Coach Guy Boucher was walking a little funny Tuesday, a little stiff. Seems he and his wife, Marsha, went horseback riding Monday, a day off for the team.

"I am hurting in places I didn't even know there were muscles," Boucher said.

The couple went to a stable in Valrico, and Boucher said he figures he and Marsha will be regulars.

"She liked it," he said. "But I liked it, too. I needed to get away, too. I said the players were tired a little bit, but I'll be honest, this last trip (four games in six nights Jan. 4-9), it's enough. It really wears you out."

Quote to note

"Just to see the way they smile at you when we stopped in, and to know what they battled through but they still know us and our names. It just makes you appreciate what you have and that you and your family are healthy. We're down when we lose a hockey game. It's not even close to what they go through."

D Victor Hedman, after he and teammates visited kids with cancer at Tampa General Hospital

Number of the day

67 Pavel Kubina's goals as a Lightning player, most in team history by a defenseman

Source: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/tampa-bay-lightning-nuts-and-bolts/1145812

Petrol prices Russia Hacking Fulham Bank of England Paul Myners

No comments:

Post a Comment