Monday, March 21, 2011

'Man of people' David enters the race to be mayor of Leicester

Former parliamentary candidate David Bowley has announced his intention to run for elected mayor of Leicester.

The 53-year-old independent candidate feels it is time for the city to embrace change and a new beginning.

"I am the face of that change," said Mr Bowley. "I am independent of all the political parties and will sweep away all the old thinking.

"I am a man of the people and am in touch with what the average person on the street wants in Leicester.

"I am in touch, unlike all the other candidates who are out of touch."

Mr Bowley is no stranger to the political arena as he stood as an independent candidate in Leicester West in the General Election last year.

"I do not think the city was ready for me then, but I think that may have changed," he said.

"I feel they are ready to embrace me and the new thinking that entails."

Mr Bowley polled just 108 votes and lost his deposit.

"That has not put me off because here I am again. If I get elected as mayor I will only take the average wage, which is about �22,000.

"The rest of the wage can go to help people keep their jobs and try to stop these drastic cuts."

Mr Bowley said he wanted to tackle graffiti, litter and anti-social behaviour as a priority.

"I want to make the streets of this city a safer and nicer place to be," he said.

"That starts with making sure the little things that really affect people's lives are not ignored.

"I want to start from the bottom up to create a more caring and responsible society where everyone has a say."

Other candidates for elected mayor are Liberal Democrat Gary Hunt, Conservative Ross Grant and Labour's Sir Peter Soulsby.

Other independent candidates who have declared their intention to stand include Mu-Hamid Pathan and Lee Sowden.

After the election on May 5, Leicester will become the largest city in the country outside London to have a directly elected mayor.

An election hustings is being held next month at De Montfort University, backed by the Leicester Mercury. People wanting to attend the event at the university's Hugh Aston building, at 6.30pm, on Monday, April 18, can register by calling 0116 257 7452, or e-mailing:

eventsoffice@dmu.ac.uk



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/1381d3d4/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CMan0Epeople0EDavid0Eenters0Erace0Emayor0Carticle0E335180A40Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Premier League Tesco Reckitt Benckiser Newspapers & magazines Documentary Eric Cantona

No comments:

Post a Comment