Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pedestrian died after stepping into path of car

A pedestrian died in a collision with a car as he tried to cross a major city road, an inquest heard.

Self-employed taxi driver Paul Barnsdale, of Rushey Mead, Leicester, died at the scene of the crash in Troon Way, just a few hundred metres from his home.

An inquest at Leicester Town Hall yesterday heard that the 55-year-old had been on his way home after dropping his taxi off for an MOT test.

He was walking along the A563 when he stepped out into the path of a black Toyota Avensis at about 11.50am on July 30 last year.

Witness Nigel Moulding said: "I was in a queue of traffic moving quite slowly. The other lane was clear. I saw this bloke walking towards me along the pavement, looking for a gap in the traffic.

"He stepped off the kerb and came out from behind a vehicle in front of me into the middle of the road.

"I don't know if he fell or tripped but I saw the car hit him."

Thakar Patel, of Rushey Mead, who was driving the Toyota, told the inquest: "The road ahead of me was clear and I was driving up the hill when all of a sudden I saw this man in front of my car. I couldn't avoid hitting him – he was right in front of me and I didn't have time to brake. I didn't see him."

Accident investigator Pc Rachel Marston said there was no evidence to suggest that Mr Patel was breaking the road's 40mph limit.

She said there would have been very little time for him to react and suggested that several high-sided vehicles in the slow-moving traffic may have obscured the deceased's view of oncoming traffic.

Coroner Martin Gotheridge recorded a verdict of accidental death and gave the cause of death as multiple injuries, including "extensive trauma to the head".



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503348/s/14803856/l/0L0Sthisisleicestershire0O0Cnews0CPedestrian0Edied0Estepping0Epath0Ecar0Carticle0E350A21190Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

UK security and terrorism St Petersburg Rob Brydon Shola Ameobi Belarus Sri Lanka

No comments:

Post a Comment