Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Off The Green ... with Medina's golf fund-raiser Patrick Spoerndle

Medina businessman will stage his "100 for Hospice" event for the third straight year on Aug. 1 at Fox Meadow in Medina.

spoerndle-mug-offgreen.jpgView full sizePatrick Spoerndle will have an exhausting day on Monday, but it's for a good cause.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Medina businessman Patrick Spoerndle will stage his "100 for Hospice" event for the third straight year on Aug. 1 at Fox Meadow in Medina. Spoerndle will attempt to play 100 holes non-stop, as he has done in each of the two previous years. He is accepting pledges and donations with the proceeds going to Hospice of Medina County. He has raised $37,000 during his first two ventures.

For more information or to make a donation, call 330-721-8822 or send donations to "100 for Hospice," c/o 7-D Marketing, Inc., 245 State Road, Medina, Ohio, 44256.

Age: 54

Residence: Medina

Q: How did this all get started?

A: As a business owner I get non-stop requests for donations. I play a lot of golf and five or six years ago I got this idea about how to raise money for a charity through golf. I came up with the 100-hole idea.

Q: What's the significance of the 100?

A: It's 100 holes; 100 percent of the proceeds actually go to Hospice of Medina County and the donations are 100 percent tax deductible. In most fund raisers the charities only get about 40 to 60 percent of the proceeds, after expenses, etc.

Q: Why did you pick Hospice of Medina County?

A: I live in Medina County, my business is in Medina County. Hospice of Medina County is based in my community and it provides phenomenal medical service for our residents. I did not have any connection with Hospice when I started, but since the first event I've had two family members go through Hospice. I saw what they do first-hand and it only re-enforced my commitment.

Q: How long will it take?

A: I usually average nine holes in 50 minutes. Last year it took nine hours to play. I started at 6:30 a.m. and finished at 3:30 p.m. I just hope it doesn't rain, but if it does I'll still play.

Q: You must play pretty fast.

A: Very fast. Non-stop. I have two caddies, my daughter, Alex, and her friend Megan Bricker, who caddy for me. One stays in the cart with me and the other fore-caddies as a spotter. As soon as I get the ball on the green the spotter will go to the next hole and tee my ball up. There isn't a lot of wasted time.

Q: You also must play pretty well.

A: My handicap index is 3.2. I'm usually in the 70s during the 100 holes. I don't lose many balls.

Q: What about nourishment?

A: I have a cooler with sports drinks. I live on the fifth hole at Fox Meadow so I call home and have someone bring me food. Usually a turkey wrap. I eat on the run.

Q: What about when nature calls?

A: I go as needed. There are several restrooms on the course.

Q: What have you learned during the first two runs?

A: From the first one I learned I could do it. It might sound silly, but 100 holes is a lot of golf. That's five rounds, plus 10 more holes. And, I learned I could do it faster than I thought. On the charitable side, I learned just how good and giving people can be.

My target donation is $1 per hole, but I've had people pledge $5 per hole and up. One company I do business with has donated $2,500 both years.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/golf/index.ssf/2011/07/off_the_green_with_medinas_golf_fund-raiser_patrick_spoerndle.html

Petrol prices Russia Hacking Fulham Bank of England Paul Myners

No comments:

Post a Comment